Here’s a comforting martini-style slow roast chicken recipe, punctuated by dry vermouth, briny olives, sweet garlic, tart lemons and creamy potatoes.
For another gloriously easy lazy person’s chicken try this Slow Roast Chicken with Lemon and Garlic.
- 4 lbs chicken, drumsticks and thighs
- 1 cup green olives
- 2 heads of garlic, cloves separated (leave paper intact)
- 2 lemons, cut into slices
- 1 cup dry vermouth
- 2 tbsp olive oil or canola oil
- 6 red potatoes, cut into wedges
- Hot sauce, such as Cholula (optional)
- springs of fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Place the chicken, garlic, lemons and potatoes in a large roasting pan. Pull apart the thyme and distribute throughout.
- Add the oil and mix all ingredients together by hand, coating with the oil and leaving chicken skin side up.
- Pour the vermouth over everything and finish with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with a few dashes of hot sauce if desired.
- Place pan in over on center rack and cook for ½ hour. After first ½ hour, increase heat to to 450°F and cook for another 30-45 minutes. Ovens will vary but be sure to monitor it once the time approaches 1 hour. The pan should have some liquid left on the bottom and chicken should be browned. The liquid is great for spooning over everything while dishing up.