Stormy Morning

Stormy Morning Cocktail

Stormy Morning Cocktail – Click here to see more Food Photography

I first encountered the Stormy Morning on my birthday last year in New Orleans at my favorite restaurant, The Bayona on Dauphine St. in the French Quarter. We arrived early for our reservation and I ordered a Stormy Morning from the drink menu while waiting for our table, intrigued by the mention of Créme de Violette. This drink gets its dramatic presence from the floral scented and violet colored liquor swirling and tumbling to the bottom as the champagne fizzles to the top. After getting back home from the trip I began acquiring its uncommonly used ingredients, and we’ve recreated this lovely beverage several times over. (Recipe below)

1.5 oz Rathman Créme de Violette
1.5 oz St. Germain elderflower liqueur
1 oz fresh lime juice
4 oz Champagne
Lime wedges to garnish

Pour the creme de violette over ice.  Add St. Germain and lime juice and top off with Champagne.

(Recipe by Shannon Fristoe of The Bayona – recently published in Saveur magazine)

For another weather themed, colorfully layered beverage, see one of our most popular posts, the Dark and Stormy Cocktail.

ShareTweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookPin on PinterestShare on LinkedInShare on TumblrDigg thisShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on StumbleUponShare on YummlyEmail this to someone

24 Responses to “Stormy Morning”

1. Cristen says:

how would you describe the taste? it looks beautiful and refreshing!

• Andrea J. Bartholomew says:

It’s got a very slight floral scent from the Violette, and only a slight sweetness from the St. Germain (which tastes a lot like lychees, if you’ve ever had them). The champagne bubbles and the lime juice balance out elderflower liquor, which is a little syrupy on its own. Definitely a refreshing, cheerful and unique taste that’s hard to compare to anything else! We usually say it tastes like Spring in a glass.

• Wendy M says:

I had this drink at Bayonna two weeks ago and wanted to make it, but could not remember all the ingredients. Thanks for the posting. We loved the garlic soup, the sweetbreads and the crispy quail.

2. Barb Thompson says:

Is Susan Spicer still chef at Bayona? Love that place!!!!

• Andrea J. Bartholomew says:

Isn’t it great?? When we were there last, she was in the process of leaving to open up her new restaurant Mondo. What’s your favorite dish at Bayona? Have you had the duck sandwich with cashew-butter and pepper jelly? Crazy good!

• Bayona says:

Susan is still the Chef at Bayona and works actively in the kitchen!

• Andrea J. Bartholomew says:

We are so glad to hear Susan Spicer is still there! We have her cookbook and it’s amazing. She’s my hero!

3. Sarah says:

I had this drink in August 2011 for my birthday too! I sat next to Mr Frank Ruiz, what a character! I cant find the creme de violette in Michigan and I cant understand why!

• Andrea J. Bartholomew says:

Hi Sarah! We had to go on a little quest to find Crème de Violette in the Philadelphia area too. Not everyone has it unfortunately. I really hope you locate it soon so you can relive your lovely birthday drink! There really is no substitute for the Violette if you want that same floral mystique. Keep us posted if you finally locate it in time for your birthday this year! Cheers!

4. Natasha Brown says:

I’m looking for an ombre libation for a baby shower and found this on Google. Very beautiful and looks very simple to recreate. Could you recommend something to make this drink pink instead of purple?

• Andrea J. Bartholomew says:

Hi Natasha! You can probably try Crème de Cassis instead of Crème de Violette. It’s a dark ruby color but if you add just a little bit to champagne, it will bloom a lovely shade of pink. Check out our Kir Royale post to see more of Crème de Cassis in action.

5. Janice says:

love Bayona. love the Stormy Morning. thanks for sharing. 🙂

6. Ashton H says:

This drink looks amazing and I cannot wait to try it at home. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Ash @ Denver Limousine

7. Adri says:

What a positively beautiful drink. With those ingredients, I imagine it is extremely refreshing, and really quite elegant. I am going to have to make this. Thank you for the inspiration.

• Andrea J. Bartholomew says:

Thanks for visiting, Adri! We hope you enjoy this cocktail when you have a chance to make one… or two! 😉

8. Justine says:

I have loved St Germain since stumbling acrossed it last year. I was so enchanted with your photo and description that I ask my local small town liquor store to spechial order Creme de Viollete. I couldn’t get the exact brand but what did arrive was a bottle covered in French that I can’t read! It still made for a lovely coktail and I will be ordering an other bottle for Easter Dinner. Thank you so much for sharing!

9. Kevin says:

How do you maintain the color? The yellowish hues of both the lime juice and the St. Germain render mine an unappealing grey when mixed with the Violette. Otherwise, very tasty!

• Not sure why yours came out grey. We made ours just as the recipe and did nothing to enhance color. Only think I could think of is the lime juice being oxidized before mixing. We used a fresh squeezed. The Violette is probably the same producer but perhaps could be another reason. Not really sure. – Paul

10. Pamela Dunn says:

Any hints to keep the violet at the bottom? We loved the drink, but it was all over purple. Should we add the violette first or last ?

• Hi Pamela! So glad you love this drink too! The violette should be added first over ice, then the St. Germain and lime juice, followed by the champagne. The trick to keeping layered drinks layered, is to pour them somewhat slowly. For drinks like the B-52 cocktail on our site, we pour the layers over a back of a spoon to help soften the pour. With this drink however, we just usually gently pour the champagne over the ice and the purple stays put at the bottom. Since we love the taste of the violette throughout the drink though, we usually stir it slightly to integrate the flavors a bit. Hoping you try it again and share your photo on our Facebook page! Hope to see you there! ~Andrea